The Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MINREX) has released a statement on its website labeling the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation (VOC) and other human rights and pro-democracy movements “subversive” and “meddlers.”
Recently, VOC produced a short documentary video in our Witness Project series featuring Rosa María Payá, who told the story of her father Oswaldo Payá’s murder at the hands of the Castro regime and her fight for freedom in Cuba.
“I guess they saw the video,” said VOC Executive Director Marion Smith.
Smith added: “We continue to be truly concerned by the one-party dictatorship in Cuba, which is still harassing, arresting, and assaulting dissidents and peaceful activists. MINREX released its condemnation on the eve of Cuban ‘elections’ because the ‘revolution’ always needs an invented enemy. But in reality, the Cuban ‘elections’ on March 11 were a sham because only the Communist Party of Cuba was on the ballot. The Cuban regime is the real enemy of the Cuban people. The Cuban people deserve better, and VOC wants to help.”
Here’s our Witness Project video, featuring Rosa María:
Dissident has translated the full text of the MINREX statement for you here:
DECLARATION OF THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Abortive Anti-Cuban Provocation on the Eve of Elections
A new anti-Cuban provocation has been attempted from abroad in the form of the awarding of a “prize,” with the objective of interfering in internal Cuban affairs, generating instability, and affecting the image of the country and Cuba’s diplomatic relations with other states.
The operation took place with the financing and support of the counterrevolution abroad and other international organizations, like the so-called Democratic Initiative of Spain and the Americans (IDEA), the Foundation for Pan-American Democracy, the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, utilizing as their instrument an illegal Cuban groupuscule. As is by now standard practice in any reactionary initiative in our region, it featured the involvement of the Secretary General of the OAS.
It’s worth noting that a similar operation was attempted last year, which, in addition to the abovementioned, featured the participation of the Democracy and Community Center, the Center for the Opening and Development of Latin America (CADAL), the Interamerican Institute for Democracy, and the terrorist and CIA agent Carlos Alberto Montaner, who have continued to work actively against Cuba, and whose links with the National Endowment for Democracy, which receives funds from the US government to implement its subversive programs against Cuba, are well-known.
These organizations have impeccable credentials as meddlers and subversive forces aiming at the destruction of the progressive governments of Our America, an aim towards which they have dedicated significant efforts and resources. Curiously, they maintain silence regarding the threat of the use of force and the United States’ recent instigation of military coups against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, they say nothing regarding coups d’état on the continent, and they do not denounce hunger and poverty, nor the racial and religious discrimination present in our region.
Nor can our people count on these organizations and their personnel to fight for more social justice and equity, to support the family members of progressive leaders, trades union members and journalists killed for their political ideas, or other victims of paramilitary activity and organized crime.
The aim in this case was to put on a spectacle that would affect the normal course of Cuba’s general elections. The actions combined a communications strategy that made use of international media and social networks with measures intended to circumvent the legal provisions of our country and to delegitimize the just and legal actions of our authorities.
Though they knew very well and were warned that, with intentions of this kind, they would not be welcome in Cuba, Andrés Pastrana Arango and Jorge Fernando Quiroga Ramírez, ex-presidents of Colombia and Bolivia respectively, as well as the Chilean parliamentarian Jaime Bellolio Avaria, of the Independent Democratic Union, went along with the plan of participating in this provocation on Cuban territory. On this basis, with the support of our laws and international norms, they were not allowed entry into our country.
This action forms part of the imperialist offensive against the peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean, in which the government of the United States has declared the relevance and continuing validity of the “Monroe Doctrine,” and has provoked a reverse in bilateral relations with Cuba.
The protagonists of this maneuver had no interest whatsoever in Cuba and the Cuban people, whom they in fact offended by attempting to breach the constitutional order which we have freely chosen. That is why they needed to resort to foreign resources and persons to pursue their ends.
Every time they try to do so, in this or in any other form, they will receive the firm response of us Cubans, who remain united and loyal to the principles of the Revolution, as we will demonstrate next Sunday, March 11, when we massively vote for the candidates of the people.
Havana, March 8, 2018 – Year 60 of the Revolution.